We went to the Houston Zoo a week or two before Halloween. We obviously weren't thinking clearly; that's what sleep deprivation (since Logan's waking up at least once a night again) and the sheer joy of seeing a smile on your baby's face will do to you. Anyway, we recently discovered Logan's love of animals and spontaneously decided to take a trip to the zoo that weekend. Usually we have things like this on the calendar for weeks or they don't happen, but we were so excited to see Logan's reaction to so many different animals that we thought, "why not?" I guess we weren't thinking about traffic (part of I-10 is down to one lane in Baytown) and the hoard of people that are probably always at the zoo on a Saturday, especially considering the perfect weather. And I-10 probably wasn't the best route anyway, regardless of the traffic, but we weren't thinking about that either.
We finally made it to the zoo after much frustration and trouble finding a parking spot (Logan did get a good nap in, though). Not to mention they had the main zoo entrance blocked off. I think we drove around the zoo about 3 times before we finally found the parking lot that wasn't blocked off. Then it was so full that I felt like I was back at A&M, driving around the Zachry lot looking for a spot. It was usually so bad that you just sat at the end of a row and waited for someone to leave. We were almost to that point when we saw a family leaving and snatched their spot, in the shade, too!
It was all worth it to see the look of awe on Logan's face. He loves to watch people, so at first it was hard to get him to focus on the animals, not the interesting assortment of people passing by. We went to see the elephants first and he was speechless. He didn't make a sound at first, but just sat and watched in awe, perched on Daddy's shoulders. The two baby elephants were playing; it was pretty cute. The animal Logan really loves and sees every day is a dog (several, actually), so now he thinks all animals are dogs and started saying, "dagga" to the elephants.

I think the giraffes were his favorite. He called them "dagga," too. We tried to get a good pic in front of the giraffes, but he was still people watching...

and giraffe watching...

then we finally got a good one!

He really liked the meerkats, I think because they were right there on his level and he could watch them scurry around and play in the sand. You can't actually see any of them in this picture, so you'll have to use your imagination.
By the end of the day (we were really only there for a few hours) he was exhausted, but I think he enjoyed it.

No comments:
Post a Comment