I thought I would take a minute during lunch to post our pictures from last weekend. I don't want to get behind again. We went to Michael's deer lease. I had never been to this particular property and it was Logan's first visit to any lease, so Michael was pretty excited. The 5 1/2-hour drive wasn't too much fun, but Logan really was a good sport.
We drove around in the truck with Michael while he checked feeders and cameras (we were getting pretty bored in the camper with no TV, radio, and a limited amount of toys and books and wanted to see the ranch). We figured since we were on private property, going about 5 mph Logan didn't have to ride in his car seat. He sat in my lap in the front seat and was so excited once he realized he didn't have to ride in his car seat. He was bouncing up and down and watching Daddy's every move as he drove. Then Daddy let him sit in his lap and he was simply giddy. When Michael had to get out for a minute, he handed Logan to me and he threw a little fit because he had to move. He loves the steering wheel.
Actually, I took Michael's truck to work today so he we didn't have to move the car seat (yes, he's almost outgrown the infant seat!) and Michael and Logan walked me out because Logan fussed when I tried to leave. When he saw me get in the truck he got all excited because he thought he was going to get to "drive." I had to let him stand in my lap and hold the steering wheel for a minute; then he "let" me leave.
We took a ride on the ranch-owner's 2-seater ATV and Logan really liked that, too. But he didn't get a good nap that morning and was almost asleep by the time we got back to camp.
The other highlight of Logan's trip was meeting Hannah, the deer. She showed up at camp last year and the guys have been feeding her ever since. We fed her carrots and celery, which we discovered she liked enough to eat through the plastic bag! She's a bit pushy and not very timid, as you can see. I couldn't get those carrots to her fast enough.

"What, there's a camera? Dang, I wasn't smiling. Take another one, Daddy!"

Logan wasn't afraid of her, either.

He even tried to eat the carrot, but Hannah was still right there, waiting.

Those of you who know us well know that my dad, brother, and husband are all avid deer hunters. And I'm sure you're wondering how Daddy will teach his little boy to hunt if he's used to petting and feeding a deer. Well, once the carrots were gone Hannah thought Logan's finger was a carrot and gave it a little nibble, much to Logan's distaste. I don't think she really hurt him; it didn't even leave a mark, but it certainly scared him and he got pretty upset. So, Daddy might make a deer hunter out of him yet.
I'm well aware that hunting contradicts everything I said in my last post about innocent animals dying. But, like I said, I was born into and then married into a crew of devoted hunters. I've hunted and killed a deer before, but I felt so bad that I don't know that I could do it again. Especially after meeting Hannah.
No comments:
Post a Comment