I can't believe Logan is already 9 months old, but the calendar doesn't lie. Actually, he's almost 10 months, but I'm a little behind, so humor me. We went for his 9-month checkup about a week after he actually turned 9 months. I wasn't dreading this one since he wasn't due for any vaccines. He ended up getting a flu shot, but one shot is better than four, right?! His weight is still on the low side (5-10 percentile), but his height and head circumference are at 25-50 and 75 percentiles, so that's good news. He just has a high metabolism, I guess! The doctor said it is fine if he stays in that percentile as long as he doesn't drop off the chart next time. She told me to put butter in his baby food :-0 and to come back in a month for a weigh-in. I have yet to spoon feed saturated fat to my baby, but he has tried avocado and loves it. I feel better about that since it's high in calories and fat, but it's unsaturated fat, which is exactly what he needs. I also put a little extra formula in his bottles. He doesn't look underweight to us, and he's otherwise healthy and happy so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for now.
9 months is also when they take blood and test for common issues, one of which is anemia. Nana Kay took Logan to get his blood taken a few days after his checkup so he didn't have to get pricked twice in one day. She said Logan sat in her lap and the nurse raised his foot and pricked his big toe. He didn't cry! Then the nurse squeezed his toe to get a sample into the glass slide things they use and said, according to my mom, "this is usually the part babies hate." And he still didn't cry! He just watched her do her job. He's so curious and is just growing up so fast.
Here Logan is in the parking lot of the hospital trying to pull the band-aid off already.
9 months is also when they take blood and test for common issues, one of which is anemia. Nana Kay took Logan to get his blood taken a few days after his checkup so he didn't have to get pricked twice in one day. She said Logan sat in her lap and the nurse raised his foot and pricked his big toe. He didn't cry! Then the nurse squeezed his toe to get a sample into the glass slide things they use and said, according to my mom, "this is usually the part babies hate." And he still didn't cry! He just watched her do her job. He's so curious and is just growing up so fast.
Here Logan is in the parking lot of the hospital trying to pull the band-aid off already.
Needless to say, my mom let him pull it off and then took it away. I had warned her about band-aids, after reading an article about a 5-month old who swallowed one. Then, what did I do? I left his band-aid on from his flu shot until he took a bath and didn't even think about it! To my credit, it was on his leg and it would have been pretty difficult for him to get it off himself and he wasn't nearly as interested in it as he was in the one on his toe. But, regardless, I'm going to try to follow my own advice a little more closely in the future, especially that about safety.
No comments:
Post a Comment